Saturday, May 22, 2010

Samuel Barber: Adagio For Strings

I've mentioned in previous posts about my love of various kinds of music; big band, jazz, dancepop, r&b, and slightly more alternative stuff among many, many others. I wanted to share another of my musical loves, and that is classical.

I think I can probably credit this to two things. The first, was that my mum took my sisters and I along to many orchestral performances at the Welly Town Hall and good old MFC when we were little. I swear we were the only kids at those things!

And secondly, there was our totally loved, and totally thrashed Walt Disney Fantasia video tape. If you ever want to teach kidlets that classical music can be cool, then Fantasia is the way. It's all about imagining a story to go with the music, and this is one of my all time favourite pieces of music to do that with.
If you can handle it, (and I know some people can't stand this stuff so it's all good) listen to the end because this piece of music tells the most beautiful story, you just have to close your eyes and imagine it.


1 comments:

Sarah Gauntlett said...

man our family thrashed fantasia as kids! cool!

blog tip: if you want your youtube windows to fit in your post width go into the html and change the width to 400px (you'll see it in two places) its not as hard as it sounds! chur

Post a Comment