Sunday, June 20, 2010

It's Only Me



I find I am taking a lot of photos of myself these days, and studying them all the time. Not in a vain way, but in a pure fascination with how unrecognizable I am to myself. I struggle to comprehend how much I think I've changed in the last few years.

You know when you're 'younger' and you hear so many women talking about how 'this' changes and 'that' changes and you have to look after 'that' or 'this' will happen... and you kinda think yeah yeah, one day, one day when I'm much, much older.

Ummm so all of a sudden, I think I'm there. It's almost like I woke up when I turned 25 and my skin is freckled and a bit tired looking, my hair is a bit oily and lank, my face has pudgied out... could be that I haven't been wearing enough sunscreen, could be that I have a thyroid condition wreaking all sorts of havoc on my body, could be that I have gone back to being a natural mousy blonde and I don't have chemicals in it to keep it stripped and dry, could be that I've put on nearly 20 kilos in the last 5 years. Yikes! Did I just admit to that? Yes, yes I did. And I don't have kids to blame this on either!

I'm not saying this cos I'm getting upset about it - I've done what I've done and I am who I am, I take full responsibility. It's just so crazy how it seems you can go from one day looking in the mirror and being really content with how youthful you are, to the next thinking, 'what the heck happened!?'  The body is a fascinating thing, it really, truly is, and man it's so cliched but if you don't look after it, it starts to show that's for sure!

Funny, unrecognizable me.

4 comments:

Pixie said...

i feel ya there! But im going in the shrinking direction..face is sinking in, waiting for the height to start declining..!haha

Nikki said...

Oh noo!! only little old ladies are supposed to get shorter! hehe

Sarah Gauntlett said...

i hear ya. where did all these freckles come from on my face anyway? and the lines? i blame zoe. haha

Unknown said...

Say what! That's a photo of you? I seriously thought it was a ten year old! Don't complain about aging, you're going backwards baby! :) Kinda like that time I shaved and you told me I'd taken ten years off my (then) 21 year old self! ;)

Post a Comment